Atlanta Center for Veins
Although typically not a medical concern, spider and varicose veins can be unsightly and sometimes even painful. Appearing on the legs and the face, there are countless possible causes of these visible veins, but only a handful of proven treatments. Dermatology Associates of Atlanta provider Kathryn Filipek MPAS, PA-C performs sclerotherapy, Veinwave™ vein elimination, laser vein treatment, Vbeam Perfecta ™, and FotoFacial® treatments to reduce the appearance of these veins.
It is important to understand that spider and varicose veins do not serve a purpose and do not function normally, so vein reduction treatment is safe. Spider veins are branch-like veins that often show up on the legs and face. Varicose veins are also commonly found on the legs, appearing as swollen or raised blood vessels beneath the skin’s surface. Prior to the aforementioned technologies at Dermatology Associates of Atlanta’s Atlanta Center for Veins, more invasive techniques were used to treat veins like vein stripping (vein litigation) or the surgical removal of unwanted veins. Now, it’s easier than ever for patients to get rid of their spider and varicose veins.
The type of vein treatment used to treat spider and varicose veins depends on the size of the unwanted veins present. During a consultation, we will determine which treatment will best meet your specific needs. Sclerotherapy is a procedure to reduce varicose veins in which a sclerosing agent is injected into the veins. The sclerosing agent works by shrinking and minimizing the appearance of the damaged vein. Depending on the size of the vein, varicose veins can usually be permanently removed in three to four treatment sessions.
Patients with spider veins may benefit from Veinwave™ vein elimination. Veinwave™ eliminates spider veins on the face and legs through the use of ultrafine needles and heat without a risk of skin discoloration (hyperpigmentation). This minimally invasive treatment is applied subepidermally and only penetrates the top layer of skin. It does not penetrate the vein itself. Most patients reach their desired results in just one treatment, but an additional treatment session may be necessary for maximum results depending on the size of the veins.
Patients who wish to remove spider veins from their face can receive FotoFacial® IPL treatment to minimize the appearance of spider veins and even rosacea symptoms without impacting the surface of the delicate facial skin. FotoFacial® treatment not only targets and reduces the appearance of spider veins, but it also stimulates collagen production and minimizes wrinkles. Most patients receive four to six FotoFacial® treatments for optimal results. Our V-beam Perfecta™ laser that we often use to treat patients with rosacea symptoms in the Laser Institute of Georgia provides an alternative laser treatment for spider veins. Using micropulse technology, the V-beam laser successfully reduces the appearance of spider veins while also reducing redness and inflammation often associated with rosacea.
If you’re concerned with spider or varicose veins, schedule a consultation with Kathryn Filipek today so she can help you determine which treatment method will best meet your needs. Visit our website to learn more about other skin conditions and treatments, as well as cosmetic procedures performed in Dermatology Associates of Atlanta’s eight specialty centers. If you haven’t already, be sure to connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for skin care news and updates.
If you suffer from unsightly varicose or spider veins, you know how frustrating they can be. No matter how you try to hide them, the blue, red and purple webs remain. What causes these veins is debatable, but heredity, hormonal changes, sun exposure, and injuries are the main culprits. Despite the cause of these unpleasant veins, they are rarely a serious health risk and become more of a cosmetic concern. Dermatology Associates of Atlanta offers various spider and varicose vein treatments at the Atlanta Center for Veins.
Dermatology Associates of Atlanta is an all-serving medical facility with eight on-site specialty centers. Our team of board certified dermatologists and physician’s assistants, with 150 years of combined experience, provides patients with optimum care of the skin, hair, and nails. Because our practice’s offerings are a bit extensive, each specialty center containing its own staff of trained physicians and practitioners with their own distinct menu of skin treatments, we’ve decided to highlight each center in our upcoming blog series. Listed below is a brief overview of what’s offered at each specialty center:
• Atlanta Center for Veins: Our vein treatment center offers face and leg vein elimination treatment for varicose and spider veins including: sclerotherapy, Veinwave™, laser vein removal, and Foto Facial® IPL treatment. DAA’s vein specialists has successfully treated varicose and spider veins for over 20 years.
• Atlanta Laser and Cosmetic Surgery Center: Cosmetic procedures like blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery), liposuction, facial rejuvenation, facial fillers, and dermal injectables are offered in our cosmetic surgery center. Our surgical procedures are performed in our state approved, AAAHC accredited Surgical Suite and non-surgical procedures are performed in our treatment rooms.
- Skin Cancer Center: Part of DAA’s Dermatology Center, our Skin Cancer Center is devoted to the prevention and removal of skin cancer. Skin cancer body checks are performed regularly. Surgical removal of cancerous lesions can be performed in one of our procedure rooms; more advanced surgeries must be performed in our Surgical Suite. For instance, Mohs skin cancer surgery, our most precise and effective method of removing skin cancer is performed in the Surgical Suite.
• Griffin Center of Hair Restoration and Research: Dr. Edmond Griffin, leading hair loss specialist and board certified dermatologist for 34 years, founded this center with the goal of ensuring that every patient with a hair loss condition leaves his office informed about hair loss prevention methods, treatment options, and a clear understanding if hair restoration surgery is right for them.
• Laser Institute of Georgia: We are proud, not only to be the largest and most experienced laser center in the Southeast, but also the first laser center available in Georgia. We offer 16 different lasers. Our physicians have over 20 years of experience using lasers to remove and/or reduce: wrinkles, brown or red spots, tattoos, facial veins, freckles, birthmarks, and unwanted hair.
• Psoriasis Treatment Center: Specifically devoted to treat patients suffering from psoriasis, this center offers various treatment methods including: PHAROS EX-308 Excimer Laser treatments, scalp hydrotherapy, and localized psoriasis therapy, to name a few.
• Skin Medics™ Medical Spa: A visit to Skin Medics™ will allow you to indulge in the latest facial rejuvenation techniques with microdermabrasion, facials, natural peels and chemical peels. Our board certified dermatologists and licensed medical aestheticians work together to meet your every skin care need.
- Hair Removal Center: Located within Skin Medics™, this center provides multiple options for hair removal such as waxing, electrolysis, and laser hair removal. Laser hair removal is also offered at DAA’s Laser Institute of Georgia.
• The Surgical Suite: Our 2000 square-foot outpatient center is state approved, AAAHC accredited, and devoted to safety as well as medical and surgical excellence. Our surgical suite offers comprehensive surgical services, an experienced medical staff, and a comfortable waiting area for friends or family members.
Be sure to visit the Dermatology Associates of Atlanta website for more information on the services we provide at each of the centers. Also, stay tuned for the upcoming blog series as we further introduce each specialty center, along with our regular updates on dermatology news and our specials.
As you age, you may notice small, scattered veins popping up, especially on your legs and face. These ugly little veins are superficial telangiectasias, also known as spider veins. Generally associated with spider veins are varicose veins, which bulge from the skin causing a bumpy bluish appearance. Varicose and spider veins are both commonly found on the legs and face. Even though these conditions are quite common, many people are unaware of the variety of vein treatments available today.
While these veins are generally dysfunctional, their cause is not completely clear. Studies show that female hormones, pregnancy, trauma, age, obesity, and extended standing may contribute to face and leg veins. Prevention techniques remain unclear since the cause is unclear, but luckily, there are several procedures that will reduce and remove these veins. Here at the Atlanta Center for Veins, we practice vein reduction and/or removal with technologies such as sclerotherapy, laser vein treatment, and Veinwave™.
When treating varicose veins with sclerotherapy, a “sclerosing agent” is injected into the veins. After the vein is injected, the “sclerosing agent” causes the vein to shrink immediately. Spider veins are commonly treated with lasers. When the veins absorb laser light, they shrink and disappear. Varicose veins can also be treated with laser therapy, but they are slightly more complicated. A tube that emits laser light is inserted into varicose veins causing them to collapse, which then redirects blood flow to other healthier veins. Laser vein treatments are performed in our office and in most cases with the patient awake. Veinwave™ is an FDA approved vein elimination treatment that uses heat and ultra fine needles to treat spider veins. Veinwave™ only penetrates the top layers of skin, and is minimally invasive.
The effects of spider and varicose veins can be frustrating and annoying, but the treatment results are extraordinary. Some insurance providers will cover the cost of vein removal, so if you struggle with embarrassing spider/varicose veins, check with your insurance company, and then call us. For more information on veins and other dermatology news, visit our website, contact our office, and continue to read our blog.
CONNECT WITH US
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
- Acne Treatments
- Atlanta Center for Veins
- Botox & Dysport
- Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery News
- Current Monthly Specials & Event Information
- Dermatology News
- Just For Fun
- Laser Hair Removal
- New Technologies
- Past Monthly Specials & Event Information
- Skin Cancer
- Skin Medics Medical Spa
- The Griffin Center of Hair Restoration and Research
- The Laser Institute of Georgia
- Vein Removal
- Wrinkle Treatments