Laser Hair Removal
Maintaining healthy skin is no longer just a women’s priority, men have started to take a close look at their own facial and skin care rejuvenation needs. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, some of the most popular male cosmetic procedures in 2011 included Botox®, Laser hair removal, chemical peel, microdermabrasion and soft tissue fillers. Dermatology Associates of Atlanta offers all of these procedures and frequently treats men for multiple conditions.
Botox® and Dysport® are minimally invasive treatments that reduce wrinkles and fine lines on the face. Many of our male patients complain about crow’s feet and lines on their foreheads. Injections with Botox® or Dysport ® relax muscles in the treatment area to smooth out these lines. Patients enjoy the short procedure time and no downtime of injectables. Results typically last between four and seven months.
Laser hair removal is another popular treatment for men who have unwanted hair on their backs, chests, arms, legs and/or face. Laser hair removal is a permanent solution for any hairy areas. Similar to other procedures, patients benefit from short treatment times and minimal downtime. However, as with any laser procedure, it’s important for patients to avoid sun exposure during treatment to reduce the chance of hyperpigmentation. Oftentimes we have male patients complain about underarm sweat and unsightly stains on their shirts. The miraDry® system is the newest non-invasive technology to permanently reduce underarm sweat. This FDA approved technology uses electromagnetic energy to permanently target and destroy sweat glands.
Our specialty center, Skin Medics™ Medical Spa, offer chemical peels to restore and refresh facial skin. Our providers use a specific combination of chemical solutions tailored to your unique skin type and needs. Chemical peels are a great solution for many skin conditions including acne, oily skin, dry skin, and wrinkles. Also within our Skin Medics™ Medical Spa, microdermabrasion treatments are available. Microdermabrasion exfoliates the skin while stimulating circulation and collagen production. Our qualified and experienced aestheticians will discuss what treatment would be most beneficial for your skin’s needs. These topical skin care treatments are a great option for men with minimal signs of aging who do not necessarily need facial injectables for rejuvenation.
Soft tissue fillers such as Restylane®, Juvéderm® and Sculptra® can effectively fill in facial wrinkles and restore lost facial volume. These FDA approved fillers are great to replump facial volume lost with age and provide a more youthful appearance. Additionally facial fillers may also be used as an ancillary treatment for facial scar reduction.
Other procedures men often seek include liposuction, blepharoplasty, and laser skin resurfacing. If you are interested in learning more about these treatments please contact our office today. Don’t forget to connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google + for the latest skincare news and tips.
How does laser hair removal work?
Using an intense pulsating beam of light that targets the pigment in the hair, treatment is applied to the desired area and passes through the skin to individual hair follicles. The heat from the laser light damages the follicle, preventing future hair growth in the treatment area.
Who is the best candidate for laser hair removal?
Just as sunlight is attracted toward darker colors over lighter colors, laser hair removal works best on individuals with darker hair and lighter skin tone. The contrast between the two allows for better targeting of the laser and better absorption by the hair follicle. Those with very light blonde or grey hair may benefit more from electrolysis treatments as the hair doesn’t have enough pigment for laser light to attract to. With over 20 years of experience and multiple lasers and hair removal options, Dermatology Associates of Atlanta’s providers can help you find a hair removal treatment that works with your skin tone and hair color.
Where can laser hair removal be performed?
Laser hair removal can be performed anywhere there is unwanted hair. Our patients have undergone laser hair removal on areas including the arms, legs, chest, face, bikini area, back, underarms, and more.
I’ve heard laser hair removal hurts. How painful is it?
Comfort thresholds vary from person to person, and the sensation may vary based on the treatment area and laser used. Some compare the sensation of laser hair removal to that of a rubber band being snapped across the skin. Our providers work to ensure that you remain as comfortable as possible throughout the entirety of the procedure.
Why do I need more than one laser hair removal treatment?
Because of the nature of hair growth cycle that includes growing and resting periods, laser hair removal is only effective when hair is in the growth phase. Multiple treatments are required in order to treat the hair that is in a different phase of the hair cycle during other treatments. By spreading out a series of 6 to 8 treatments over 8 to 12 weeks, patients can be sure to receive the smoothest results.
Is laser hair removal safe?
Laser hair removal is safe and effective for those who have passed through the screening process with Dermatology Associates of Atlanta’s trained and experienced providers. We offer multiple types of lasers and even EpiLight and electrolysis hair removal to ensure the safety of all patients. While there are rare risks like hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation, we work diligently to make certain that your treatment results exceed your expectations.
For more information on laser hair removal or other services we offer, contact our office. Stay up to date on the latest cosmetic and dermatology news by following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
Although Dermatology Associates of Atlanta offers various cosmetic skin services like laser hair removal, fat reduction, and facial rejuvenation (to name a few), we are still board certified dermatologists trained to treat a variety of skin conditions. A blog from Best Health magazine earlier this month reminded us of how difficult it is for children and teens to deal with acne, psoriasis, eczema, and more. The Article was intended to help parents teach their children how to maintain a positive body image and equip them with tools to deal with insensitive peers.
As we all know, acne is frustrating at any age. No one wants a big whitehead on his or her nose, but most of us remember a period when hormones seemed to cause pimples to crop up like crazy. It’s not only important to teach your children how to ignore teasing from their peers, but also to teach them how to take care of their skin so future breakouts are minimized. You could also take them to see a dermatologist for different alternatives such as skin treatment options like Isolaz™for acne if over-the-counter cleansers are not working and you want to avoid oral medications. However, tried and true medications for acne include benzyl peroxides (OTC), topical antibiotics, topical retinoic acid, and topical salicylic acid (OTC). While some of these medications are available over-the-counter a dermatologist can prescribe stronger versions if needed. Oral medications are usually considered in more severe cases, and in the most severe cases Accutane may be prescribed.
While not as common in younger people, psoriasis is another skin condition that can be physically, emotionally, and socially uncomfortable for a child or even teenager. We have an entire center devoted to psoriasis, the Psoriasis Treatment Center. While psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that is rarely relieved by ointments and medications, our patients often find relief with our PHAROS EX-308 Eximer Laser treatments. We also offer prescription compounds and other therapies like psoralen soaks for the palms and soles to relieve discomfort and itching. Light treatments are also common for psoriasis patients. Now for some patients biologics may be the only treatment that gives total body lasting control, but this is usually reserved for the older patients where all other forms of treatments have been tried.
Although it’s one of the most common skin conditions, itchy eczema can also make kids and teens want to hide their skin. Our dermatologists can prescribe compounds to help relieve eczema symptoms in hopes that children and teens with eczema will feel as comfortable as possible in their own skin. Light therapy is commonly used to tame the more difficult eczema cases. At times, dermatitis may be aggravated by certain laundry detergents and fabric softeners. Avoiding free washing with drying soaps and fabric softeners designed for the dryer seem to be most helpful in the long-term control of this unyielding dermatitis. DAA’s Laser Institute of Georgia can also provide removal of skin conditions or imperfections with laser birthmark removal (hemangiomas), laser wart removal, and mole removal.
Dermatology Associates of Atlanta believes it’s important to educate young patients on proper skin care, skin condition treatment, and positive body image. It’s very important for parents to support their children in dealing with their skin conditions. Talking about problems like skin conditions helps children understand that there are no underlying causes, although, genetics may have something to do with conditions like acne, eczema, and psoriasis. Parents play a role in helping their child deal with these long-term conditions. We also think beginning regular dermatology visits is important for the continued health of young patients through adulthood. To learn more about our general dermatology services or to schedule a consultation, visit our website. Be sure to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter as well.
If you thought Dermatology Associates of Atlanta’s eight on-site specialty centers were extensive, then you will definitely consider the sixteen different lasers at the Laser Institute of Georgia amazing. We, however, see it as a way to provide Atlantans with the best skin care head to toe. Lasers can treat a variety of skin conditions, and our physicians have over twenty years of experience working with this skin care technology.
If you’re wondering why sixteen lasers are necessary, allow us to explain: just like no two human beings are identical, all lasers are slightly different. Although settings can be adjusted on most lasers, certain lasers treat specific conditions and skin types better. Lasers are attracted to pigment, the darker the pigment, the more effective the laser treatment. Take laser hair removal and laser tattoo removal for an example. We probably wouldn’t have much luck trying to remove hair with a tattoo removal laser (or setting). › Continue reading
Dermatology Associates of Atlanta is an all-serving medical facility with eight on-site specialty centers. Our team of board certified dermatologists and physician’s assistants, with 150 years of combined experience, provides patients with optimum care of the skin, hair, and nails. Because our practice’s offerings are a bit extensive, each specialty center containing its own staff of trained physicians and practitioners with their own distinct menu of skin treatments, we’ve decided to highlight each center in our upcoming blog series. Listed below is a brief overview of what’s offered at each specialty center:
• Atlanta Center for Veins: Our vein treatment center offers face and leg vein elimination treatment for varicose and spider veins including: sclerotherapy, Veinwave™, laser vein removal, and Foto Facial® IPL treatment. DAA’s vein specialists has successfully treated varicose and spider veins for over 20 years.
• Atlanta Laser and Cosmetic Surgery Center: Cosmetic procedures like blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery), liposuction, facial rejuvenation, facial fillers, and dermal injectables are offered in our cosmetic surgery center. Our surgical procedures are performed in our state approved, AAAHC accredited Surgical Suite and non-surgical procedures are performed in our treatment rooms.
• Dermatology Center: This center is dedicated to basic dermatological conditions of the skin, hair and nails such as warts, acne, rashes, brown spots, or precancerous lesions.
- Skin Cancer Center: Part of DAA’s Dermatology Center, our Skin Cancer Center is devoted to the prevention and removal of skin cancer. Skin cancer body checks are performed regularly. Surgical removal of cancerous lesions can be performed in one of our procedure rooms; more advanced surgeries must be performed in our Surgical Suite. For instance, Mohs skin cancer surgery, our most precise and effective method of removing skin cancer is performed in the Surgical Suite.
• Griffin Center of Hair Restoration and Research: Dr. Edmond Griffin, leading hair loss specialist and board certified dermatologist for 34 years, founded this center with the goal of ensuring that every patient with a hair loss condition leaves his office informed about hair loss prevention methods, treatment options, and a clear understanding if hair restoration surgery is right for them.
• Laser Institute of Georgia: We are proud, not only to be the largest and most experienced laser center in the Southeast, but also the first laser center available in Georgia. We offer 16 different lasers. Our physicians have over 20 years of experience using lasers to remove and/or reduce: wrinkles, brown or red spots, tattoos, facial veins, freckles, birthmarks, and unwanted hair.
• Psoriasis Treatment Center: Specifically devoted to treat patients suffering from psoriasis, this center offers various treatment methods including: PHAROS EX-308 Excimer Laser treatments, scalp hydrotherapy, and localized psoriasis therapy, to name a few.
• Skin Medics™ Medical Spa: A visit to Skin Medics™ will allow you to indulge in the latest facial rejuvenation techniques with microdermabrasion, facials, natural peels and chemical peels. Our board certified dermatologists and licensed medical aestheticians work together to meet your every skin care need.
- Hair Removal Center: Located within Skin Medics™, this center provides multiple options for hair removal such as waxing, electrolysis, and laser hair removal. Laser hair removal is also offered at DAA’s Laser Institute of Georgia.
• The Surgical Suite: Our 2000 square-foot outpatient center is state approved, AAAHC accredited, and devoted to safety as well as medical and surgical excellence. Our surgical suite offers comprehensive surgical services, an experienced medical staff, and a comfortable waiting area for friends or family members.
Be sure to visit the Dermatology Associates of Atlanta website for more information on the services we provide at each of the centers. Also, stay tuned for the upcoming blog series as we further introduce each specialty center, along with our regular updates on dermatology news and our specials.
CONNECT WITH US
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
- Acne Treatments
- Atlanta Center for Veins
- Botox & Dysport
- Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery News
- Current Monthly Specials & Event Information
- Dermatology News
- Just For Fun
- Laser Hair Removal
- New Technologies
- Past Monthly Specials & Event Information
- Skin Cancer
- Skin Medics Medical Spa
- The Griffin Center of Hair Restoration and Research
- The Laser Institute of Georgia
- Vein Removal
- Wrinkle Treatments